Thursday, February 17, 2011

Mt. Snow

  TDW1D2

Working out isn't always about lifting weights and bouncing around in an aerobics class. I decided to do some functional strength and endurance training in the form of shoveling snow/ice.

We've had a particularly harsh winter thus far and it's dumped an insane amount of snow where I live. My property is not shoveler friendly. The way the house/driveway/front & back yards are set up there really is not a good place to put snow, so we put it where we could during these storms.

They are in the way and melting and refreezing because of the unnaturally warm temperatures this week. I started with a nice size deck piled with 3 foot icy-snow piles that I shoveled two days ago. Today I moved into the sun a 5 foot high x 4 foot deep x 3.5 foot wide pile that was by the back gate that was in the shade, and took the spade to chip the under-ice.

WOW! What a free workout that was! back, arms, core, legs, cardio, endurance (because it took nearly 2 hours to move). I was sweating like I was in a steam room for an hour! It felt AWESOME!!! Well, all but my left hand that now has a very painful blister.. I guess i should have worn gloves lol.

Tomorrow it is going to be in the 60 degree range and i plan to move more, because Father Winter and Mother Nature are the only two that know what the rest of the winter holds and I need the realestate! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to Technorati Favorites