Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I Need to Catch My Breath!

TD7

ChaLean Burn Circuit 2 was on the menu tonight.
DH & I had an awesome workout, and I had an over-abundance of energy afterward and decided to do TurboFire HiiT 15 too!

I must be insane!

It was a great time, created a new BFF called Blister on my left big toe.. Blister made a nice comfy home there, oh did i mention blister doesn't like water? We quickly became enemies in the shower, Blister was winning until I put a band-aid on it.

I also became familiar with what is called exercise-induced bronchoconstriction and it's not a fun activity to partake in. It started after HiiT 15 while i was in the shower, I started to cough, chest was tightening, and i was coughing up some mucus at times, but nothing crazy, not like smokers' cough or anything (It felt more asthmatic actually). This annoying chest tightening followed by a cough lasted approximately an hour before it ceased.

At the time, i didn't know what EIB was, I happened upon an article that had mentioned it while I was looking for tips on running outdoors during Winter. Apparently, this is quite popular in the exercise world; I'm just hearing about it for the 1st time even though it's happened to me a few times in my lifetime of working out I and I thought nothing of it.

Here is the overview by Wikipedia:
In a patient with EIB, exercise initially follows the normal patterns of bronchodilation. However, by three minutes, the constriction sets in, which peaks at around 10-15 minutes, and usually resolves itself by an hour. During an episode of this type of bronchorestriction, the levels of inflammatory mediators, particularly leukotrienes, histamine, and interleukin, increase. TH2-type lymphocytes are activated, with an increase in T cells expressing CD25 (IL-2R), and B cells expressing CD 23, causing increased production of IgE. After exercise, the conditions will fade within one to three minutes. In most sufferers of EIB, this is followed by a refractory period, of generally less than four hours, during which if exercise is repeated, the bronchorestriction is less emphasised. This is probably caused by the release of prostaglandins.

The underlying cause of this type of bronchoconstriction appear to be the large volume of cool, dry air inhaled during strenuous exercise. The condition appears to improve when the air inhaled is more fully humidified and closer to body temperature.

This specific condition, in the general population, can vary between 7 and 20 percent. This increases to around 80 percent in those with symptomatic asthma. In many cases, however, the constriction, even during or after strenuous exercise, is not clinically significant except in cases of severe to moderate emphysema.

I am interested to see if it decreases as my endurance increases, or if this is more apt to happen to me during the cooler months, because of the cooler and drier air. I'll keep you updated on that too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to Technorati Favorites