Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How it came about..

Changes are abound!
The Tough Mudder and The Spartan Sprint on are the agenda for 2011.
My brother took it upon himself to register himself and I in the Tough Mudder in November, so I took it upon myself to register him and I in the Spartan Sprint in June.
I have anxiety and panic disorder and my "family" goal this year is wean off of my medications so my DH and I can start trying for a family.
These 2 events are going to test my disorder to it's max, and by the time they arrive I will be completely off of my medications.
This is my physical and mental journey in becoming a Spartan and a Mudder.
If anything, I hope I can inspire someone else to try and escape the crutch of this debilitating disease.


 
Today I posted this on my coaching group on facebook:

Re-starting ChaLean Extreme today. After many talks with Coach Susan, i think i am going to train for a Tough Mudder for 2012. I saw that they have a training regimen and it looks fabulous! So have to get started! My biggest weakness is endurance. It never used to be that way, when i was a kid and i would swim/train at “the Y”, i used to be able to swim underwater about 3/4 the length of an Olympic size pool over and over. My trainers used to be amazed at my underwater aquatic abilities lol. Now I’m lucky if i could run a 1/4 mile without wanting to keel over. So train i must!
That post started a VERY quick whirlwind with my brother and I, and HE decided to sign us up for the Tough Mudder in November.

I went to their website and looked at the obstacle course descriptions and I about had a panic attack.

Crawling through tubes, running through electrically charged fences, running through fire..and those are just to name a few.

I became light-headed, heart started racing, and the sweats started. Panic set in.

I decided to get in contact with MY coach, and asked his advice because he was having a hard time with nerves coming into a major event himself. His advice was basic and to the point. Don’t worry about time, just focus on surviving to the end, and train.

As basic as that was, it was very effective.

I already had planned to start a workout program tonight, (as i mentioned above), but now I’m going to increase the intensity of it all. Not only do I have to work on strength; I also have to work on endurance as well. I know Insanity™ is one of the most intense endurance training programs in the video market. It’s a completely mental program that pushes your limits, and I’m REALLY going to need that. I am also going to need extreme strength training, and as much as I LOVE ChaLean I may need something more intense, but I am going to stick with that until I can find a proper substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to Technorati Favorites