Monday, October 20, 2008

Wisdom

As in teeth.
Seriously, they aren't very smart are they? They have to be pulled because they become impacted or just simply don't fit in the mouth.. If i was a smart tooth, i would either hide and never come out and never cause problems, or i would grow properly in so that i would make sure i maintain my position as the smartest of all teeth, be a mentor to the others.
I have managed to go 34 years with just 1 tiny cavity, that was just deep enough to forgo the typical white fillings they used when we were kids.. So at age 10 i received a small amalgam filling in my lower left molar.
24 years i haven't had one cavity. I've chipped a tooth (recently), but never had a cavity, and i still don't. But yet, i have to get my wisdom teeth pulled. ALL 4!. reason? one (lower right) is 1/2 impacted and creating a pocket situation where food can be trapped, key word CAN. It doesn't hurt, it's not causing problems etc, yet doc feels it should go. The two uppers are in, the upper left though does cause pressure from time to time and is causing food to be trapped in one of my other molars because it's a tight fit now.. OK so I'll floss.. the lower left has not come in yet.. though not impacted, it's just the runt of the litter.. taking it's time.. cause it just KNOWS what's gonna happen..it's gonna get yanked.. I'd be scared too!
So i was given a referral to the oral surgeon.. strictly telling the doc that i will need to be knocked out completely.. like major surgery knocked out.. then i want to be on painkillers for a good 2 weeks.. i don't want to even know my name when all is said and done for at least a week..
You see, i used to work for a dentist as an assistant.. It's not pretty what goes on in there. You all think.. 'oh no biggie they just numb it and yank'.. lol boy are you all totally WRONG.
Most cases in wisdom teeth.. they have to be cut out of the jaw.. you don't know this cause you are all numbed up or knocked out. Granted, dental procedures have come along way since 1993, but it's not good enough.. they can catheter a heart without going in for major surgery, yet wisdom teeth? you would think they would make it easier.. less painful.. less invasive.. yeah right..
I just don't understand why in the world it hurts as much as it does in the first place.. seriously think about it.. tooth is out.. no nerve.. it's gone.. nothing but a gaping hole, which is stitched closed.. yet.. the pain afterwards is almost unbearable.. Most people can't hack it.. My friends I'm one of them.. ever since my tonsillectomy in 2003, and my ruptured cyst in 2004 I'm a pain-o-phobe. I can't hack it.. call me a woos, a baby, i don't care.. i hate pain. Besides the fact that i haven't been in a conducive relationship until now, why do you think I'm not a mommy? yep.. deathly afraid of child-birth.. Just knock me out and take it out.. better yet, let's adopt! Maybe I'm less of a woman i don't care.. but teeth and ovaries, and tonsils HURT! i don't fare well on most painkillers as they make me violently ill.. they put me on Oxycontin for the cyst and wow i was vomiting within 45 minutes.
My only saving grace is they don't hurt yet.. as long as i keep brushing and flossing and rinsing i think I'll be OK.. besides, I'm going on vaca in November, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas and New Years.. so I'm no where NEAR going to make an appointment. So when and/or IF i ever get it done I'll keep ya's updated.. but for now it's a party in my mouth.. all the teeth are having a grand ole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to Technorati Favorites