Thursday, October 30, 2008

Consistently Inconsistent The Finale

It's true...
Tonight i had one of the best nights in the cage. I have reclaimed the title of Tigress Woods!
First, let's start off by saying it's really cold out. Thankfully, non-students don't go to the range when it's cold out like this because George turned the heaters on and kept us on the bottom level. It was comfy, almost hot at times, which made it perfect for concentrating. I also went to Charlie Browns for the salad bar again.. I think that being able to sit and relax and enjoy a really good salad and just visualize my A game helps me focus for when i do get to the range. But i digress.

I arrived early and first as usual. George was giving me one-on-one lessons for the most part for nearly 15 minutes before the others arrived. At first i was grounding them, (things are different on the bottom level, because on the top level everything is up in the air!) then slicing them. He showed me where on the ball and club i was striking and he put one of the rubber tees in front of my tee and told me strike the ball and not hit that tee.. It's totally psychological. I hit the ball every single time and for the most part it went pretty straight. I, for the most part, know what i do when i top the ball now because i made one adjustment and i hit the ball nearly perfectly once i figured it out.. George was impressed with my game on this final night of lessons.

Then for some reason i drew a blank about a 1/4 way through a jumbo bucket. I forgot how far back from the ball i was to stand. George was laughing because i was standing so far away i acted as if the ball "had cooties". He reminded me of the rule and i addressed the ball again. This time it was effortless, straight, and it had quite a distance to it. The teacher was happy now and told me that of all the students in our class i am, by far, the one with the best swing, (not that that is saying much because everyone else is hacking at the ball), but I laughed and thanked him at the same time. Then he got serious on me, he said "once you learn to incorporate your body movement with your swing you will be one mean person to play with. You have awesome potential, just move your body more, be more thorough. I watch you stop 3/4 through a full swing and laugh when you wonder why it slices right". We had a good laugh, because i just can't seem to blend the two together, but when i do the ball goes, and it goes far and straight.

I used all of the clubs except for the woods, wedges and driver. My goal was to own that 5 iron, and i did along with the 7, 9 and 8. The 6 was kind of boring but i did well with it. Towards the end George huddled us together for a chat and demo on club swing, addressing the ball (don't stand so far away-joke was on me and we laughed), and practicing at home with ordinary objects. He mentioned that for the winter the range will be open until 7pm and if we wanted to come on our own and if he sees us there he will help us out at no charge because he wants us to practice and practice right. He also mentioned he's trying to get lessons started earlier this year (like February-yikes! cold!) which would come in handy for my possible trip to a tropical climate in the spring.

In parting, this experience has had it's ups and downs. For the most part though i have learned a lot and i certainly am better now than i was 6 weeks ago. I can not believe it's been 6 weeks already. Through it all though, i have learned that this game is not as easy as the pros make it look, and that most of us will never get nearly as close to the status that a pro is. The game is meant to be fun and strategic. With the right knowledge and understanding and willingness to concentrate and retain, anyone can partake in this sport. Yes, sport and one of the most difficult ones i might add.

Until Next time! I will see you on the LINX!!
FOUR!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to Technorati Favorites